Our geotechnical services team provides site investigation solutions that combine experienced geotechnical consultancy skills with state of the art contracting services and plant. With over 10 years’ experience we have developed high quality ground investigation, geophysical and topographic surveys across more than 100 renewable, grid, infrastructure and water related projects.
We deliver solutions within wider construction management teams, integrated with planning, design and constructions processes, ensuring that work is carried out efficiently and to the highest levels of health and safety.
Our experienced team of chartered engineers, geotechnical and civil engineers and geophysicists are supported by a professional drilling?team?well versed in a wide selection of drilling and sampling methods.? We carry out conventional and bespoke ground investigations to Eurocode 7 standards throughout the UK, Republic of Ireland and internationally.
2.5GW of wind farm site investigation safely completed
We regularly complete site investigation in challenging and complex geologies for successful infrastructure design. Challenges include peat, chalk, artesian water, deep fluvial deposits, unexploded ordinance (UXO), mining, upland terrain, remote access, forestry, slope stability etc.
Our services include:
- Planning phase EIA surveys
- Peat stability
- Borrow pit identification
- Construction feasibility
- Pre-construction activities
- Project information review, gap analysis and due diligence
- Site Investigation Principal Contractor (CDM 2015)
- Logistical planning and access solutions
- High quality intrusive site investigation
- Geotechnical Supervisor, experienced and chartered geotechnical engineers to record and interpretation of geotechnical information
- Sample handling, preparation and test management
- Factual and interpretative reporting
- Geotechnical risk register and trouble-shooting
- Support detailed geotechnical design of foundations, roads and slopes
- Construction stage monitoring and testing
- Formation inspection
- Plate loading tests
- Groundwater control
Topographical survey and terrain analysis
- Topographic survey delivered in tandem with site investigation to complement site investigation and design works
- Tailored methodology – using traditional land survey for hard features, buildings etc using Trimble RTK 10 DGPS and Total Station whilst large land areas are more economically surveyed using UAV “drone” methods for complex terrain mapping over wide areas
- Aerial Photography and videography
Grid & infrastructure
- Grid route optimisation, feasibility studies and aerial surveys.
- OHPL investigations on transmission lines
- Investigations to inform construction phase ground conditions problem solving
- Investigate distribution network connections on wind farms
- Near shore and intertidal zone works for the landfall of sub-sea cables and pipelines
Offshore & nearshore
- Overwater geotechnical and geophysical works for renewable energy projects, ports, harbours and coastal defences
- Working closely with designers to obtain GI information during FEED studies and detailed design
- Certified and experienced company rep on vessels undertaking geophysical surveys and drilling / sampling operations
- Overwater drilling in coastal waters up to 35m water depth
- Intertidal zone ground investigation and survey
- Due diligence and technical advisor roles
- Terrain mapping and topographic survey
- Peat mapping and stability risk assessment
- Remote access ground investigation
- Input to detailed civil and structural design
- Construction phase formation checks and problems solving
Groundwater and water wells
We install agricultural, commercial and domestic water wells throughout the UK.? Our hydrogeologists are available to determine whether groundwater abstraction is feasible, identify the aquifer and best place to drill.
Using our experience we will give you an idea of the regional success and typical abstraction rates / quality.
Our consulting engineers will design your well to ensure correct, efficient function, adequate surface protection and liaise with the authorities to ensure the correct notifications and licences.
We have a selection of modern low ground pressure drilling plant handling water well projects up to 300mm diameter.? We offer the following services:
- Water well drilling and installation
- Pump installation and commissioning
- Water well rehabilitation and inspection
- Water filtration and chemical testing
- Groundwater exploration and prospecting
- Aquifer mapping and investigation
- Geophysical surveying
- Pump testing yield and water sampling
Geothermal & ground source heat pumps
- Ground source heat pump (GSHP) drilling and loop installation
- Thermal response testing and analysis
- Residential and commercial scale systems
- Project due diligence and technical advisor services
- Find out more about renewable heat here
- In-situ testing and sampling
- General site investigation and drilling contractor registered with the British Drilling Association (BDA)? and British Geotechnical Association (BGA)
- Wireline mineral coring and geophysical exploration
- Hagglund hire with experienced qualified drivers (personnel carriers, and load / materials handling)
- Met-mast decommissioning and disposal
- Earthing rod installation for lightning and cathodic protection
- Our fleet of modern plant includes powerful but lightweight agile drill rigs that are suited to steep gradients, soft ground and environmentally sensitive locations.
- Large Hagglund fleet.? Machines are versatile and have a proven record on steep or soft terrain, providing adequate load capacity without limiting capability.
- All our operators are trained to our specific tailor made LANTRA level.
- Fraste PLs are modern light weight rigs with impressive power to weight that have been recently upgraded to the SL with improved driller ergonomics on steep ground.
- The Fraste XL Crawler mounted wireline rig is suited to deep coring in overburden and rock whilst minimising soft ground damage. Successful at 120m with Geobor S in marine sediments and glacial till, capable of 500m @ HQ